About the Race
Get ready for another trip down Old Sandwich Road. This is a three race event. There is a 10 Mile individual race, a 20 Mile individual race and also a 10 Mile total 2 person relay option called the Sacrifice Rock Relay. The 20 miler is a challengine out and back course with only two turns the entire way. The 10 Miler is also challenging but achievable. All races take place on scenic Old Sandwich Road.. The Oldest Public Rod in America and the same path traveled by Pilgrims in times of old. Sacrifice Rock is a hallmark historical silte of Plymouth’s picturesque green belt. The race has several miles of flat and fast dirt road and rolling hills through the Eel River basin before an exciting stadium finish at Plymouth North High School. Runners will park at Plymouth North High School and take buses to the start for the 10 Miler and the Sacrifice Relay. The 20 Miler starts and finishes at Plymouth North High School Stadium.
10 Mile and Sacrifice Rock Relay Race Course Map: http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/338638473
20 Mile Race Course Map: http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/627790468
Why chose this race?
1) The 10 mile start site of the race is Ellisville Harbor State park. A nature reserve on the coasts of Cape Cod Bay. http://www.mass.gov/eea/agencies/dcr/massparks/region-south/ellisville-harbor-state-park.html
2) It has very few turns. It’s a rare tranquil course which will be one of the straightest 10 or 20 mile courses you have ever raced. Runners can get into a flow and not worry about traffic or getting lost.
3) Old Sandwich Road was named trail of the month in January, 2104 by Runners World Magazing for it’s history and it’s beauty. http://www.runnersworld.com/trails-to-run/trail-of-the-month-old-sandwich-road-plymouth-massachusetts
4) The nature!! Check out the pics here: http://plymouth-rock-racing.smugmug.com/History/Landscapes/Old-Sandwich-Road-Pictures-and
About the Relay- Runner #1 will run 5.2 miles – all on dirt. Runner #2 will run 4.8 miles on the paved but more challenging second part of the course with the exciting finish on the track. The transition point is Sacrifice Rock on Old Sandwich Road.
NO BATONS – To make it more comfortable for runners, we will use slap-braceletts for identifying relay teams.
Age group winners will receive medals. All finishers will receive a finisher medal. 15 and under, 16-19, 20-29, 30-39, 40-49, 50-59, 60-69, 70 and over. Top three male and female overall will receive a trophy and gift certificate prizes. Top 3 Male, Female and coed relay teams will receive medals and gift certificate prizes.
Members of Plymouth Road Runners running club will receive $5 discount. www.plymouthroadrunners.com
Members of the Canal Kids Running Club will receive a $10 discount. https://runsignup.com/Club/MA/BuzzardsBay/CanalKidsRunningClub
* As always, race results will be posted to " target="_blank">www.coolrunning.com*
Straight shot 10 Mile race down famous Old Sandwich Road. First 5.2 is on flat dirt. The rest is on paved roads which are rolling and moderately challenging. Runners stage and finish at North Plymouth High School and are bused to the start at Ellisville Harbor State park. There is NO PARKING at Ellisville Harbor State Park.
This is a fun 2 person relay. Runner #1 starts at Ellisville Harbor State Park and then runs on the dirt of Old sandwich Road before handing off at mile 5.2 to runner #2, who takes on the rolling hills of the second half of the course and finishes on the Track at North Plymouth High School. There is limited parking at Sacrifice Rock. Runners are encouraged to take the bus shuttle to the transition staging are at Sacrifice Rock. Lear more about Plymouth’s “other” historic rock here: http://www.plymouthantiquariansociety.org/historic.htm