The Hilly Urban Ruck Race of Tennessee (aka: HURT) is arguably one of the toughest Ruck races. It is a true test of strength-endurance and grit!
On Saturday, May 30, 2020 this challenging 14-mile course will take racers around north Chattanooga, gaining nearly 2,000 feet of elevation while utilizing pavement and trails. All racers will be required to carry 25 lbs in their rucksack/backpack at all times. The course will be open (no road closures) but there will be volunteers every ~2 miles and “HURT” signs to makes sure you stay on course. All racers will also receive a detailed turn-by-turn course description at check-in.
ALL First Responders and Military (active/reserve/veteran) receive 50% off registration – must show ID
The event will start/finish at Renaissance Park next to the grass hill under the pavilion. Based on age and gender there will be “handicaps” to make this event an even playing field. Everyone, regardless of age or gender, will have the opportunity to win this race. The older you are the earlier you will start giving you a lead among the rest of the competition. The official Clock Time will begin at 7:45am for all categories. It will be up to you to hold off the categories that start behind as they will be motivated to chase you down. Regardless if you start first or last, you will have to combine rucking with some running if you want to have a chance to win. There will only be ONE CHAMPION! In 2019 it came down to a photo finish between Chris Martin and Logan Mills, both in the 15-44/Tactical Category. What will happen this year?
Here are the Categories and Start Times:
CATEGORY START TIME
We are partnering with the Chattanooga Area Food Bank to help fight hunger in our area. It is highly recommended that you bring non-perishable food items to the event to donate. We’ll have two barrels on hand and would love to see them get filled. Just bring as much food as you can and drop it in the barrel prior to your start time, or pack the food items in your rucksack for the required race weight and donate after you finish. Items that the Chattanooga Area Food Bank are always in need of include: canned fruit/vegetables, cornmeal, flour, grits, pasta, rice, canned meats, dry beans, fruit/vegetable juice, oats, peanut butter, and soups.
1. The race will begin and finish at Renaissance Park, 100 Manufacturers Rd, Chattanooga, TN 37405.
2. Day of race Check-in will be from 6:45am – 7:15am under the outdoor pavilion next to the hill.
3. A brief meeting will be held from 7:15am – 7:30am to go over some specifics and answer any last minute questions
4. NO RACE-DAY REGISTRATION!!! – registration closes May 22nd
5. Good sportsmanship is required at all times
6. No Refunds
7. The Hilly Urban Ruck Race of Tennessee (HURT) will be comprised of civilians, Active Duty Military, Veterans, ROTC students, and First Responders
8. All participants are required to carry 25 lbs in their rucksack/backpack at all times. No exceptions!
9. Packs will be weighed at the start. No items such as rocks, or other weight that can be discarded along the course, shall be used as weight (ruck plates recommended)
10. There will NOT be Aid Stations along the course, participants must carry their own food/water/etc. with them at all times.
11. No other means of transportation are allowed, just rucking/walking/running with your rucksack/backpack.
12. No outside assistance is allowed, if anyone is caught receiving assistance they will be disqualified from the race (This includes being handed a bottle of water, or energy bar, etc. by a friend). There will, however, be some Red Bull’s available around mile 6.5
13. Anyone caught cutting the course will be disqualifies immediately
14. This will be an open course event so there will be no road closures. All participants are required to obey all traffic rules and use caution when crossing roads; we’ll try to have volunteers at most road crossings
15. All participants will be given detailed turn-by-turn directions of the course route along with a detailed map (See course map on Strava HERE)
16. The first person, male or female, to complete the course and cross the finish line with required weight (25 lbs) will be declared the overall winner