The Hilly Urban Ruck Race of Tennessee (aka: HURT) is arguably one of the toughest Rucking races. Participants will need a high level of strength-endurance and grit in order to finish. The course is relentless with steep climbs and descents, but the views along the way might help ease the suffering a little. If you are looking for a challenge then sign up and test your fitness.
On Saturday, April 10, 2021 this challenging 14-mile course will take racers around north Chattanooga, gaining nearly 2,000 feet of elevation while utilizing pavement and trails. All racers (male and female) will be required to carry 25lbs in their rucksack/backpack at all times. The course will be open (no road closures) but there will be volunteers and “HURT” signs to help you stay on course. All racers will also receive a detailed turn-by-turn course description at check-in to be used as a back up if needed.
ALL First Responders and Military (active/reserve/veteran) receive 50% off registration – must show ID
The event will start at Renaissance Park next to the grass hill under the pavilion. Based on age and gender there will be “handicaps” to make this event an even playing field. Everyone, regardless of age or gender, will have the opportunity to win this race. The older you are the earlier you will start giving you a head start among the rest of the competition. The official Clock Time will begin at 7:45am for ALL categories. It will be up to those who start early to hold off the Categories that start behind, and vice versa, those who start behind will have to chase down those with earlier start times. Regardless if you start first or last, you will have to combine rucking with some running if you want to have a chance to win. In each of our first two years, the race has come down to a photo finish; in 2019 it was between Chris Martin and Logan Mills, both in the Male 15-44/Tactical Category, and in 2020 it was between Jay Garcia and Mark Crawn (Male 5-44/Tactical Category).
The top Male and Female finishers will each receive a custom “2021 HURT Plaque”
All finisher’s will receive a custom Hilly Urban Ruck Race Tennessee (HURT) finisher’s patch
Here are the Categories and Start Times:
CATEGORY START TIME
Each year we partner with the Chattanooga Area Food Bank to help fight hunger in our area. It is highly recommended that you bring non-perishable food items to the event to donate. We’ll have a Food Bank barrel on hand and would love to see it get filled. Just bring as much food as you can and drop it in the barrel prior to your start time, or pack the food items in your rucksack for the required race weight and donate after you finish. Items that the Chattanooga Area Food Bank are always in need of include: canned fruit/vegetables, cornmeal, flour, grits, pasta, rice, canned meats, dry beans, fruit/vegetable juice, oats, peanut butter, and soups.
1. The race will begin and finish at Renaissance Park, 100 Manufacturers Rd, Chattanooga, TN 37405.
2. Day of race Check-in will be from 6:45am – 7:15am under the outdoor pavilion next to the hill.
3. A brief meeting will be held from 7:15am – 7:30am to go over some specifics and answer any last minute questions
4. Registration closes April 8th – NO RACE-DAY REGISTRATION!!!
5. Good sportsmanship is required at all times
6. No Refunds
7. The Hilly Urban Ruck Race of Tennessee (HURT) will be comprised of civilians, Active Duty Military, Veterans, ROTC students, and First Responders
8. All participants (male and female) are required to carry 25lbs in their rucksack/backpack at all times. No exceptions! Weight Vests are NOT allowed
9. Packs will be weighed at the start. No items such as rocks, or other weight that can be discarded along the course, shall be used as weight (ruck plates recommended)
10. There will NOT be Aid Stations along the course, participants must carry their own food/water/etc. with them at all times.
11. No other means of transportation are allowed, just rucking/walking/running with your rucksack/backpack.
12. No outside assistance is allowed, if anyone is caught receiving assistance they will be disqualified from the race (This includes being handed a bottle of water, or energy bar, etc. by a friend). Red Bull’s may be available around mile 6.5 at White Oak Park
13. Anyone caught cutting the course will be disqualified immediately
14. This will be an open course event so there will be no road closures. All participants are required to obey all traffic laws and use caution when crossing roads; we’ll try to have volunteers at most road crossings
15. All participants will be given detailed turn-by-turn directions of the course along with a detailed map (See course map on Strava HERE)
16. Finishers will receive a custom Hilly Urban Ruck Race Tennessee patch.