The good news is that malaria is 100% preventable! Unlike many other diseases that are awaiting a cure, malaria was eliminated in the US in the 1950s. However, in Sub-Saharan Africa, malaria continues to kill a person every 60 seconds.
It’s for this reason that Otterbein University, Church of the Master and Church of the Messiah United Methodist Churches are partnering to host the Skeeter Stomp 5k Run & 1 Mile Walk on April 26 supporting Imagine No Malaria, an initiative dedicated to the prevention and treatment of malaria in Africa and to beat malaria once and for all.
Tired of slapping your soles over pavement you normally encounter on a 5K race? The Skeeter Stomp consists of an off-road race run entirely on Otterbein’s cross country course. Check out Event Information below for more details.
WARNING: This is not just another ordinary street race!! The entire 5K and walk take place on the Otterbein cross country course near the City of Westerville Community Center on Cleveland Avenue. The majority of the course consists of grass covered and tree lined paths. But, you might want to keep a brisk pace as you plunge down the wooded ravine and over the foot bridge or you may get bit by Ohio’s own culex pipiens (i.e. skeeter)! There will be plenty of locations for spectators to create a little race buzz, stomp and cheer you on.
Of course spikes are allowed, it’s a cross country course for crying out loud! Mile markers will be placed along the 5K course and a digital clock will be in plain view as you stomp your way across the finish line.
- Pre-race number pick-up begins at Columbus Running Company’s Westerville location (50 N State St) on April 24 and April 25 during normal business hours. Race day registration and number pick-up begins at 1pm at the start of the race/walk off Cleveland Avenue.
- Cash (or equivalent) prizes for the top 3 male and top 3 female finishers and prizes for each age group winners.
- Age groups consist of: 13 and under, 14-19, 20-29, 30-39, 40-49, 50-59, 60+.
- All pre-registered participants will not only receive great satisfaction in knowing they have done their part in conquering malaria, each will receive a commemorative T-shirt. We’re talking quality shirts so you will want to register early to guarantee your size.
- Post-race refreshments will include water, fruit, and bagels.
- Music will be played before, during, and after the race for you and your guests’ foot stompin’ pleasure.
- Porta-Johns will be available at the course.
- Free parking is available at the Westerville Community Center complex (either side of Cleveland Avenue), and the Otterbein campus.
- Please arrive no later than 1:40pm.
- We are not held responsible for water, mud or skeeters encountered on the course!