The SMART 5.29K Run/Walk raises money to establish SMART529 College Savings Plans for children recently adopted out of the foster care system in West Virginia. National statistics show less than 3 percent of kids who grow up in the foster care system go on to obtain a college degree. When a foster child is adopted into a loving family, their fresh start can also include a brighter future through higher education. The SMART 5.29K Run/Walk will directly benefit children adopted from foster care in West Virginia by assisting with their future educational expenses. All proceeds from the 5.29K registration*, minus a $3.00 race fee, will be deposited into SMART529 College Savings Accounts. The accounts will be awarded through a selection process administered by frameworks and Mission WV.
Mission West Virginia is a non-profit organization that collaborates with public, private and faith communities to build stronger communities in West Virginia. frameworks is a Mission West Virginia program that assists in finding foster and adoptive families for children in the foster care system.All proceeds from registration, minus the $3.00 race fee will go toward the Frameworks SMART529 accounts.
12 and Under; 13-19; 20-34; 35-49; 50-64; 65 and Older
Awards will be given to the top overall male and female finisher and the top 3 finishers in each age group for the 5K run. The overall winners will not be eligible for awards in their age groups.
The awards ceremony will take place in front of the Charleston Area Alliance building on Smith Street, once the official race results are recorded. Participants must be present at ceremony to receive awards.
• Packet Pick Up is 4-6pm on Friday May 29, 2015 at center court of the Capitol Market on Smith Street.
• Race Day Check-In/Registration is 7:30am-8:20am in the front of the Charleston Area Alliance Building on Smith Street.
• Race Start is 8:30am-Run and 8:40am-Walk.
• Entry fee is $30 through May 27, 2015. $35 onsite registration.
• Guarantee T-shirt to those who register by May 15. All others available on first come/first serve basis while supplies last.
• All participants must wear bibs in order to have time recorded.
• Official times/results will only be kept for participants in the 5K run. Race results will be posted shortly after race.
• Event will take place rain/shine.
• All registration fees are non-refundable/non-transferrable.