Hero of the Hill
Do you need some motivation to keep you moving and training this winter?
Worried that you’ll give up your New Year’s Resolution to run by January 17th?
We have an awesome challenge for you. Troubled Raccoon’s Hero of the Hill Challenge runs from January 17th through January 23rd. Each day is a Hill and you want to be the Hero on top for as long as possible.
How it works:
1) The first person to finish a 5k after 12:01AM EST becomes the first Hero for the day. The clock starts counting for their score.
2) The next person to finish a 5k run knocks the previous Hero off the hill and becomes the new Hero. There can only be one Hero at a time!
3) Every time someone finishes a 5k, they become the new Hero and they start scoring. You can finish multiple 5ks each day if you want to retake the position of Hero.
4) At 11:59PM, the title of Hero resets and we wait for someone to finish the first 5k of the day again.
5) Whoever spends the most time as Hero over the entire event is the champion.
What miles count?
Any miles you run/walk count. You can record miles on roads, trails, tracks, or treadmills. If someone takes the Hero position from you, then you can run another 5k and take it back. Remember that the Hero position clears each morning at 12:01AM EST.
How to report miles:
We will have a form for you to post your miles. You will need to submit the start time and finish time for your 5k, but the finish time of your 5k is what really matters. The finish time will start your time as the Hero. Be prepared to submit a photo/screenshot of your watch or tracking software for confirmation.
You should submit your finish times as soon as possible after you complete them to give other participants up-to-date information about the current standings. We know that sometimes GPS/Network Connection/Cell Service won’t cooperate. So, you have until 7:00AM EST the following morning to report the 5ks you run – any 5k reported AFTER 7:00AM the next day will not count for your score (but you still get the fun of running!). This may mean that daily rankings change the following morning when all finishes are processed.
What can you win?
The Hero who has the highest score at the end of January 14th will receive a special prize (it’s a surprise). All entrants will receive a commemorative award produced by RaggedCuts and a full color long-sleeve tech shirt produced by HappilyRunning.
In order to guarantee a shirt and award, please register by January 5th. We will order some extra swag, but once we run out we won’t be able to order more.
A part of each entry will be donated to Bigger Than The Trail. BTTT provides support to those struggling with mental health challenges using trail running as a form of outreach. You can find out more about BTTT through their website BTTT.Run.