This week, we will visit Italy. Simone Lamacchi, the organizer of the Maratona Internazionale del Custoza has accepted to answer my usual 9 questions to present the race he has the charge of.
Simone and his wife
1) Hello Simone, on May 10th 2009 you’ll be organizing the Maratona Internazionale del Custoza. Can you tell us where it is located? The Maratona Internazionale del Custoza will take place in Sommacampagna (near de Verona in Italy). The start and the finish line are located in the city and the race runs through the Morniche hills.
2) It’s the tenth edition of the race. Why was it created in the first place? The marathon was created to promote tourism in the region where the wine Bianco di Custoza is produced. The race is organized in cooperation with the city of Sommacampagna.
3) What kind of route have you set up for the runners? How would you describe it? The route is the major strength of our marathon. It is located in the countryside. It is quite hilly (altitude varies from +60 to +140 meters above the sea level). And it runs through medieval villages and vineyard. The start is located in the park of an 18th century property. At the end of the 42km the route will lead the runners where they started.
4) How many runners do you expect on Sunday morning? What type of runners do you plan to attract? In the first edition, in 200, 140 runners competed. This year, they were 730. Next year we expect more than 800. Most runners are amateurs seeking a friendly atmosphere.
5) Do you organize other races during the Week-End? If so, on what distances? On Sunday morning, when the marathon is run, we also offer 3 additional races : a 6km, a 11 km as well as a half marathon. We also organize a race for children less than 13 years old.
6) At that time of the year, what kind of weather can we expect? The weather can vary a lot. In the past, we had temperature going from 18°C to 28°C (64°F to 82°F). Most of the time, it is sunny and the runners shouldn’t suffer from the sun since most of the route is shaded.
7) Have you planned festivities around the marathon? Usually, we organize a conference about ultramarathon on Saturday.
The marathon finished, what advice would you give a runner who has never been to Sommacampagna before? A good restaurant, a fancy sightseeing? Sommacampagna is surrounded by beautiful hills and vineyards. There are many restaurants where the exceptional products of our land can be tested. You can also visit the medieval village of Borghetto, the Lake Garda, the Sigurtà botanical garden (the largest in Europe), or for the children, Gardaland and Canevaworld amusement parks.
In a single sentence, what would you tell the readers of 42k195 to make them register for the Maratona Internazionale del Custoza ? You’ll be quite surprised by our hospitality and by the free lunch we offer after the marathon.
Thank you very much Simone
For more information: