Race to be Presented Live, Nationally for the First Time in 20 Years — Sunday, Nov. 3, on ESPN2
ESPN2 will televise the 2013 ING New York City Marathon on Sunday, November 3, at 9 a.m. ET — the event’s first live, national television coverage in 20 years. ESPN will also present the 43rd running of the race in high definition for the first time.
In addition to the ESPN2 telecast, the race will be available nationally via WatchESPN for fans who have video subscriptions from affiliated providers and ESPN Deportes+, the network’s Spanish-language ESPN3 extension. In the New York area, fans can watch the race on ABC7 or via WatchABC.
- ESPN will utilize 43 cameras, including three on helicopters and six on motorcycles throughout the event;
- Google tracking: During the race, men and women leaders will be followed by motorcycles, which will track their progress via an Android phone. Each runner will be “pinpointed” on a Google map that will be shown throughout the telecast;
- Jen Correa/Hurricane Sandy Feature: 2012 would have been Jen Correa’s first NYC Marathon. After losing her home in Staten Island to Hurricane Sandy, she trained for this year’s race with a new outlook on life;
- Dr. David King/Boston Feature: Dr. David King cared for and operated on Boston bombing victims after he ran the Boston Marathon. King will participate in this year’s NYC Marathon.
SportsCenter anchors Hannah Storm and John Anderson will serve as co-hosts, Jeremy Schaap and Lewis Johnson will report for ESPN and Tim Hutchings and Carrie Tollefson will provide analysis. Juli Benson (lead women’s reporter), Toni Reavis (lead men’s reporter), David Willey (running reporter) and ABC7 reporters Laura Behnke, Jim Dolan, Rob Powers and Kemberly Richardson will also contribute to the telecast. Additionally, Georgina Ruiz Sandoval and Pablo Viruega will provide commentary from Bristol, Conn., for ESPN Deportes+. Commentator release.
ESPN Platforms with New York City Marathon Coverage
- ESPN Radio: ESPN New York 98.7-FM will provide in-race updates as well as pre- and post-race coverage. The station will utilize the resources of ABC7 and ESPN to present reports and highlights throughout the day.
- ESPN.com: The Endurance Sports page will highlight content and coverage from across all ESPN entities, featuring top stories before, during and after marathon weekend as well as video vignettes on great marathon moments, an interactive course map and live blogging from ESPNNewYork, feature stories from Kate Fagan and Bonnie Ford for espnW, and coverage from 7online and content partners Competitor Group and Runner’s World.
- ESPNNewYork.com: ESPNNewYork.com will provide features on New York runners leading up to the marathon as well as live blogging and an interactive course map with the best places to watch the race.
- WatchESPN & WatchABC: Live coverage of the NYC Marathon will be available on computers, smartphones, tablets, Xbox and Apple TV through WatchESPN nationwide for fans who receive their video subscription from an affiliated provider. Fans located in any of the five boroughs can follow the action online at 7online or on smartphones and tablets via WatchABC.
- ESPN3: ESPN3 will carry pre-race (7-9 a.m.) and NYC Marathon continuing coverage (12:30-2 p.m.). In addition, ESPN3 will have an isolated camera feed of the finish line called 2013 ING New York City Marathon – Find Your Finish, which allows fans to see each runner complete the race in Central Park. This feed will also be available on replay so participants can watch themselves cross the finish line. Additionally, ESPN Deportes+ por ESPN3 will carry the event at 9 a.m. in Spanish. Blackouts apply in the New York market.
- espnW: espnW coverage includes several pre-race features, a “Why I Run” page dedicated to 20 of this year’s marathon runners and more.
- ESPN Images: For downloadable race day photos, please visit the ESPN Images library.
ING NYC Marathon Schedule:
|Sun, Nov 3||7-9 a.m.||Pre-Race Coverage||ESPN3, ABC7 and WatchABC|
| ||9 a.m.-12:30 p.m.||ING NYC Marathon||ESPN2, WatchESPN, ESPN Deportes+ , ABC7 and WatchABC|
| ||12:30-2 p.m.||ING NYC Marathon Continuing Coverage||ESPN3, ABC7 and WatchABC|
| ||4-6 p.m.||ING NYC Marathon Highlights Show||ABC|