Registration is now open for the first-annual 5forCHOP, a 5-mile race along the beautiful Manayunk Canal Tow Path benefiting The Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia (CHOP). In addition to the 5-mile run main event, there is also a 1-mile walk and Kids’ Fun Run. Kids can also submit T-shirt designs in a contest for the Fun Run shirts and enjoy a variety of family activities at Venice Island.
This is a trail run on the Schuylkill River Trail heading North from Venice Island in Manayunk with a turnaround at the 2.5 mile mark. The varying width path is a mix of boardwalk, pavement and gravel with gorgeous views of the canal and mural art along the way. Please use caution and be courteous to other runners. It is recommend to seed yourself at the race start based on your projected pace for this type of course.
Race Day Schedule:
7:30 a.m.: Race Day Registration and bag pick up opens
8:00 a.m.: Kids’ Fun Run start
8:00 – 11:00 a.m.: DJ and kids’ activities at Venice Island
8:15 a.m.: Pre-race warmup workout (optional)
8:30 a.m.: 5-Mile Run start
8:40 a.m.: 1-Mile Walk start, immediately follows the runners’ start
9:00 a.m.-12:00 noon: Free drink tickets (1 per adult participant) can be redeemed at the Manayunk Brewing Company
9:45 a.m.: Awards ceremony
Registration Fees & Awards:
• The 5-Mile Run registrations include tech T-shirts
• The 1-Mile Walk and Kid’s Fun Run registrations include cotton shirts
• All Adult registrations receive 1 drink ticket and a pint glass with the T-shirt
• All Youth registrations receive a T-shirt
• Free drink tickets are valid for one free beer, bloody mary or mimosa between 9:00 a.m.-12:00 noon at the Manayunk Brewery on race day
Register before April 21st to receive a $5 discount on your registration! Early registration fees (by 4/21) are as follows. Fees increase by $5 each after 4/21 except for the Kids’ Fun Run:
• 5-Mile Run Adults: $35
• 5-Mile Run Youth (under 21): $30
• 1-Mile Walk Adult: $30
• 1-Mile Walk Youth (under 21): $25
• Kids’ Fun Run: $10
The following awards are up for grabs in the 5-Mile Run:
• The top Overall Male and Female Finisher
• The top male and female in each age group: 12 and under, 13-19, 20-29, 30-39, 40-49, 50-59, 60-69, 70+
• TEAM CHALLENGE – Get a group of friends, family or coworkers together and form a team! All times will be combined and averaged. The fastest team will win a restaurant gift card. 2nd and 3rd will receive recognition.
• The individual runner who fundraises the most support for their participation will also receive a restaurant gift card
Certification & Timing:
• 5-Mile Certified Run—The course will be USATF Certified
• Distance markers will be posted at each mile
• Professional digital clocks will be at miles 1 and 3
• There will be two water/aid stations at miles 2 and 4
• Chip timing technology ensures that all timing is accurate based on when the runner takes the first step across the start line
• 1-Mile Walk and Kids’ Fun Run participants will not be timed
Parking will be available at the Venice Island parking lot, first-come, first-served until we need close prior to the race start for safety. It is recommended to enter from the Cotton Street bridge entrance (off of Main Street). On-street parking and lots are also available in Manayunk. Please obey all posted parking rules. Please allow time for parking and always a good idea to carpool.
Bag Pick Up:
Pick up your race bag, including your number, on Thursday, May 19 from 1:00-5:00 p.m. at Flywheel in Bryn Mawr (711 Lancaster Ave #300, Bryn Mawr, PA 19010) or starting at 7:30 a.m. on race day at Venice Island.
There will also be a Flywheel fundraising event at Flywheel Sports in Bryn Mawr, PA on Thursday, May 19th, 2016. Donation is $50 per person, 100% of which will be donated to The Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia. Flywheel session is from 1:00-1:45 pm. Limited spots available based on the number of bikes—Register here: https://www.runtheday.com/registration/race_info/5forchop-flywheel-charity-ride
5forCHOP is being run by volunteers dedicated to helping raise funds for The Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia (CHOP). Funds raised from 5forCHOP this year will benefit will support two research areas that are unique to Children’s Hospital and in need of more funding: The Center for Applied Genomics (CAG) and Evans Syndrome Clinical Research. Visit www.5forchop.org for details. Sponsorships also available!
Click to reach the official site
Information about the event is available in : English